C-DAC Knowledge Park, Bangalore in association with National Knowledge Network (NKN) is organising a two day “GARUDA-NKN Partners Meet – 2013” where senior delegates from the scientific and academic institutes partnering with GARUDA and NKN will be attending.
Dr. Subrata Chattopadhyay, Associate Director, CDAC, Bangalore says, “The objective of the joint meet is to provide a forum for the user community to share their valuable experience and insights on research initiatives undertaken using GARUDA and NKN. This meet will also provide an opportunity to explore new areas of applications and set a direction to take GARUDA and NKN activities to the next higher level.”
Focusing on development and deployment of newer technologies and applications on GARUDA with the existing partners sharing their experiences, there were several series of presentations and discussion conducted.
“Eminent scientists and researchers from premier institutes, CSIR, ICAR and ICMR labs will be delivering talks on unique applications running on HPC, Grid and Cloud platforms. Some of the talks include Open Source Drug Discovery (OSDD), Agricultural research using HPC, Health informatics, Trends in HPC with respect to Petascale and Exascale computing, Geophysical applications on Grid, Building Biodiversity knowledge database on Grid including Challenges in handling Big data. Few talks will also cover NKN & Garuda services,” he added.
The high-end scientific explorations using the high speed National Knowledge Network on GARUDA resources aims to lead to the following results:
- Drug discovery – Leading to low-cost, affordable medicines, especially in TB and Malaria
- Weather prediction – Helping farmers to plan their cultivation
- Disaster management – Aiding the decision makers to reduce the disaster impact
- CAE – Assist to bring engineering revolutions
- e-learning – Improving the quality of educations by sharing knowledge from reputed institutions like IIT and NIT
- Also enabling social engineering applications like GIS, traffic simulations etc. to improve standards